Monday, June 3, 2019

Mermaid Mixed Media

Totally enjoyed watching 7 Kids Create Store Facebook Mixed Media Video.
My canvas doesn't look anything like the video that the owner Kelly made.
She is so creative.
What i did try to incorporate into my canvas is the paint running and the steampunk theme.
I also used an idea from another Facebook member using cardboard for the mermaid.


7 Kids Create Facebook group also supplied the mermaid shape for us to work with.
You can find 7 Kids Create Facebook group here.

My canvas is 4" x 6"

side view:

How i created this:
I used digital paper for my base.  I printed on card stock and then i dampened it on the back to remove some of the thickness so it would be more pliable when i glued it down to the canvas. I put decoupage glue on top of the digital paper that i attached to the canvas.
I cut out the mermaid tail from chipboard instead of cardboard.
Then i covered it with Molding paste and while it was wet i added gears to look like scales.
I set this aside to dry.
I cut rectangles for the edges glued those down and then i added molding paste to the top of them to add more texture.  Once that dried i painted the sides/edges metallic gold.

Once the decoupage glue dried, i used a stencil and painted it and rubbed back some of the paint.
This is the part where i added some paint and water to get the "running paint" look.
(If you want to see how it is suppose to look watch this video at 7 Kids Crafts Facebook Group here)

Next, i cut a piece of fishing net glued it down and painted it metallic gold.
I added some aqua color cheese cloth to the corner by gluing it down.
Once that all dried, i glued the chipboard mermaid that i prepared to the top. It had curled up slightly so i set something on top to weight it down while it dried.
I used molding paste around the edges of the mermaid tail and let that dry. Then i painted the edges and the white parts showing around the gears metallic gold. 
I painted the fin hot pink, with a bit of aqua highlights, after it dried i attached Stampendous Shaved Ice chunky glitter.
At bit more embellishing, i used Mod Podge Dimensional Glue (like glossy accents) at the bottom and put some seed beads, star brads (i cut off the brad part), sentiment. i put the dimensional glue on top of the sentiment as well.

Here is the background paper and sentiment i used:

We Are 3 Digital Paper- Warm Sand - available here.

We Are 3 Digital Paper (sentiment) - Seaside Photo Page available here.
I would love for you to visit We Are 3 Digital Shop Facebook group and share your cards/projects created with We Are 3 Digital Shop paper/images and sentiments.  
Visit us by clicking here!

Click here for the We Are 3 Etsy Store link

Challenges:
More Mixed Media - Anything Goes with Optional Pink
A Inky Mess - Anything Goes Challenge 31
We Love to Create - Anything Goes Challenge 6

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is so clever, looks awesome too!
    Thank you for joining us this month at We Love 2 Create With Polkadoodles! Jane (DT) xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments...it makes me so very happy!