Monday, January 7, 2013

You Toadly Rock

Hi there, Grandma Bonnie here as your Digital Delights hostess.   I did some thinking and decided i wanted to share something new i learned this last month and that is...making honeycomb paper pop-ups.  I looked through the wonderful Digital Delights images and found that the front of the toad called, Elvin would work well.

FYI, there are some new images coming out this week that would be awesome as well...just make sure to BEE here to see them. :)

This is what i am going to "show" you how to make:
Basically, i paper pieced the frog and made the honeycomb front.  He is really adorable!

First, you need to print your image 2 times (depending on how you are paper piecing).  I usually do a white base and then print the image as many times as i want a different color.  Then i hand cut out both the white and the green.  I cut out the sections of the green so i could give the frog dimension as well, by adding pop dots in different width..or i build the foam dots to get the layers.














Next i added some color to the frog using my copics.  I then used the cut-out center as my pattern for the honeycomb pop-up.  I cut out 12 pieces of origami paper (or similar weight) and folded them all in half.  Next i made a tape placement pattern for the peach cut out pieces for the front.  I numbered the tape placement #1 and #2.  **Note...i should have made the #1 say #2 and the #2 the  #1..but you'll get it..and maybe figure this out. :)












Next you lay a one piece of the peach cut out white side up and place tape just above the #2...as shown and then you close it and add tape to the #1 spots and add another layer and repeat those two steps until you get all of the pieces loaded on top of each other.













Once you have all twelve layers on top of each other you will add a red line type tape to the "binding" as shown.  I also then added the red line type tape to one side and some more glue dots to one side.  Place the glued side down on the center of the frog.  Add the tape to the other side in the same way and carefully pull it over to the other side like a book being opened..and secure the tape down.   **Tip- if this is for mailing you can use just the red line tape and not take the tape off and have the recipient take the tape off and pull it to the one side.


7 comments:

  1. If this isn't the cutest card ever, I don't know what is! You TOADily amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute!! Thanks for sharing how to make the honeycomb!! I pinned it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Bonnie:)
    Hugs
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that is just the cutest thing ever!!! Love his fun smile and the choice of papers is perfect!! :) Thanks for sharing!! Have a happy day! Smiles and Hugs - *Vicki*
    *My Blog* - Stamp Smiles
    Help me reach 1000 followers for a special BLOG CANDY GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely ADORABLE! What a great party decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this little frog,soooo adorable!! I just found out about honeycomb paper, and I love them. Now this gives me a chance to use it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, this is the CUTEST thing I've EVER seen & I can't believe I just now saw it !! Even after looking at your wonderful directions I could not do that in a million years. You TOADILLY rock !!! I LOVE it !!!
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments...it makes me so very happy!