Sunday, December 2, 2012

Well have you been Naughty or Nice???

Or in this case, Good or Bad?  Again, i am using the wonderful Santa's Letters digital set from Digital Delights..in this post i am sharing how to make a postcard that you would have your child send to Santa, letting him know that he/she has been good, (I guess it could be bad..i went for good) LOL.

I have used two pieces, i printed off the postcard digital image and the Santa image adding the sentiment to the board he is holding using Note This font.  The reason i ran off two separate pieces is that when i color the image it bleeds through the paper.   I did use my large Xyron to adhere the front to the back...it doesn't matter how you tape the two together, as you can't really send this out to Santa. :)

I colored this Santa using Copics:
skin- YR000, 00, R14, 20
red- R35, 37, 39
green- YG25, 67
boots/belt- W5, 7
Liquid applique for fur
Stickles for beard/hair


In response to Santa receiving his postcard about your child being good,  Santa has sent a postcard back to the child letting him/her know that they are on the "Good List" with a little surprise Medallion to wear.



Let's get started:
The Santa is paper pieced just like the Santa's Countdown Calendar..you can refer to that post, or use the colors above..or like i said you can purchase the already colored images (clip art).  I used Frosty font on the message "board" that Santa is holding.
I added the postage image to card board and cut out the size using decorative scissors.
To make the  medallion, i printed the badge onto kraft paper and cut it out, including the inside half circles then i added a punched designer paper circle behind the badge. I also (not shown) punched out two circles from cereal cardboard for stability.  I put one behind the designer paper...saving the other one for when i was finished to back the whole thing.  Next i used some wired tinsel garland and joined it into a circle by wrapping the ends..  I hot glued the badge to the tinsel.  Next i used two strips of crepe paper and placed them on top of each other to make the paper more sturdy and did gathering stitches to make the gathered circle.  I pulled the string slightly (remember it is paper so it can tear so be gentle) to make the circle i wanted and tied it off.  Now i put the other cut card board on the back and add a jewelry pin back.    If you want more stability to your crepe paper you can add some decoupage.  Otherwise, i used Stickles/silver around the edges of the Medallion.  It was fun to make and i made two, for my grandkids that they would be safe for them to wear.




















9 comments:

  1. Fabulous Bonnie, love it!
    Hugs
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie.
    I think your idea on this is just fantastic! I love the little postcard to Santa as well as your return card and badge to wear. What a fun idea! Your coloring is just beautiful as always and I love that you have shared how you made all of this. Hope you have been good. I am trying to get back into getting to everyone. I hope that Santa doesn't put me on the bad list due to my lack of proper blogging. lol... Have a great Sunday. Hugs, Lisa G

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole concept is adorable, and your work, as always, is wonderful. I definitely like the term naughty rather than bad as it is associated more with behavior than the person. Bad is a bit more personal. We were careful with my children and (later) grandchildren, to use terms, when disciplining them, that pertained to their behavior and NOT to their character! Well done, my lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, absolutely fabulous! Makes me wish I had some little people to make it for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing how to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, Bonnie, you should get hired by a craft store to teach classes--that you design! Really--I am serious! This is another wonderful creation that I am sure your grandchildren will just love! :^)
    Hugs again, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, you are so creative! These are AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool medal and that is one of the cutest Santas ever!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments...it makes me so very happy!